After acceptance at university, students are usually advised to apply for a place in a hall of residence or other college accommodation, such as self-catering houses and apartments. Most universities and colleges can provide accommodation on or near to their campus. University apartments, residential colleges and halls of residence are generally available. International students often enjoy staying at the halls of residence as they have opportunity to mix with many other students on a full-time basis. This is also one of the cheapest options for accommodation. Meals and some cleaning services are usually provided.

Residential colleges provide accommodation with meals. They are slightly more expensive than university Halls of Residence. The facilities are more comprehensive and often include fully serviced rooms, sporting and recreation facilities, computer and internet access and sometimes a library.

International students have the option of sharing accommodation with other students. They are able to share the rent on an apartment or a flat close to the campus.Some Australian families provide homestay accommodation for international students.

It is often wise for a student to organize temporary accommodation until they have had a chance to consider the alternatives.

Institutions maintain a register of families prepared to board international students during the academic year. They check to ensure that homestay families are reputable and that they offer accommodation of a reasonable standard. Farm stay accommodation is often available in rural areas. This is an exciting option for students wishing to experience a farming lifestyle.

Backpackers, youth hostels, guest houses and hotels provide a variety of housing options at various costs. Individual universities and colleges are also able to provide information on accommodation available. Prices vary from place to place, so local information is important.

Not least, rents depend on the region, city and neighborhood. Rents are lower in rural than urban areas and, as a general rule, the further a property is from a large city or town, public transport or other facilities, the cheaper it is. Average rents tend to be highest in Sydney, Melbourne and Darwin.How much does renting cost? Rental costs vary considerably according to the size (number of bedrooms) and quality of a property, its age and the facilities provided.


International students have 3 accommodation and welfare options.

Students can either live with their parents, with relatives or close friends, with a local family in homestay accommodation. Homestay is the most popular option and is the best way to experience Australia and improve English language skills.

Option 1 - Living with a relative

Living with a relative is the option to select if the student can live with their parents in Victoria or has a relative, such as an uncle or aunt they can live with. Students who have enrolled as a dependent of a parent who is studying in Australia must select this option.

  • If the student is living with a relative they must meet DIAC approval. DIAC approved relatives include: brother, sister, step-parent, step-brother, step-sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, step-grandparent, step-aunt, step-uncle, step-niece and step-nephew.
  • Primary school students must reside with a parent for the duration of their enrolment.
  • Dependent students must reside with a relative for the duration of their enrolment.
  • The Department does not charge a homestay placement fee
  • The Department does not charge an airport pickup fee nor arrange airport pickup 


Option 2 - Nominated homestay

A nominated homestay is where the student knows a family in Australia and the parents request that the student live with this nominated family. The family could be close family friends or distant relatives. Under this option the Department is responsible for arranging accommodation and for the overall welfare of the student.

  • Student must be aged over 15 years or over
  • The person nominated by the student to provide accommodation must meet the Department's homestay criteria and complete a Working With Children Check
  • All family members aged over 18 must complete a police records check
  • DIAC are provided with confirmation the accommodation has been arranged
  • Students can be met at the airport if requested and will be levied a charge of $A 110.


Option 3 - Homestay Live with a local family

The Department and the student's school arrange homestay for the student with a local family. This can be with another family with their own children or with a single person. Students pay around $AU220 to $AU240 per week; this includes their accommodation and meals.

  • Students must be aged over 15 years
  • Students are charged AU$220 homestay arrangement fee
  • Students are picked up at the airport (AU$110)
  • Accommodation is only arranged for the duration of the student's study


Following is a table of accommodation costs as per different Australian Territories . We hope that you will find this information very useful in planning your stay in Australia. All the prices are quoted in Australian Dollars.


Accommodation Type

Cost per week (Approx)


Full board Homestay

$A 223

New South Wales

Homestay  (single room)

$A 150 - $A 300

South Australia


$A 90 - $A 250


Private Housing  (per room)

$A 80 - $ 150

Western Australia

Room and Breakfast



1 bedroom Flat

$ 220 - $325

Australian Capital Territory

Home stay (single room)

$ 160 - $ 350

This is an approximation only and does not include the cost of buying clothing, medicine and the like.